2013 Association of Pathology Chairs: Southeast Chairs and Administrators Regional Conference
January 30 – February 02, 2013
The University of Florida Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine proudly invites you to the Southeast regional meeting of the Association of Pathology Chair and Pathology Department Administrators’ Conference! Featuring keynote speeches from many outstanding scholars, this conference will offer an overview of the latest developments in:
The 2013 Southeast Chairs and Administrators Regional Conference
will be hosted by the University of Florida at the:
220 Sands Point Road
Prestigious clients share a feeling of confidence, accomplishment and comfortable elegance when meeting at Longboat Key Club & Resort. This AAA Four-Diamond beachfront retreat is conveniently located on Florida’s Southwest Gulf Coast. Perfect for executive groups and incentives of 10 to 160, Longboat Key Club & Resort offers 7,000 square feet of flexible meeting space, unique outdoor venues with views of the beach, the golf course fairways, or marina and a professional conference services staff. Attendees will appreciate the personal service, suite accommodations, six restaurants and lounges, championship golf, tennis, fitness center, spa, full-service marina and the private, white-sand beach.
|View Larger Map|
Check this website frequently leading up to the conference date
for new program details as they are announced.
We look forward to seeing you and our colleagues at the
2013 SEAPC Conference in Longboat Key, Florida!
For more information, contact Daniel Faron, MBA.
- A private, pristine white-sand beach set with elegant chaise lounge chairs, private cabanas, and umbrellas.
- 291 slip deep-water marina – the largest on Florida’s west coast
- 25 Har-Tru tennis courts with instruction available at two locations – the Tennis Gardens at Longboat Key and Islandside
- 45-holes of challenging golf with instruction available
- 7 distinctive restaurants – Portofino, Sands Pointe, The Pointe Lounge, The Grille at Harbourside, Spike’n Tees, Court 21 Café and Lounge, Barefoot’s Bar & Grille
- Island House Spa with 12 treatment rooms and more than 50 services
- Fully-equipped Fitness Centre with personal trainers
- Mind & Motion Studio with exercise, yoga, wellness and meditation classes
- Beautiful ocean-side swimming pool and Jacuzzi overlooking the Gulf of Mexico
- 9.5 mile island path for biking, jogging, or walking – bicycles available at resort
- Sailing and boating charters and water sports and kayak rentals
- 12,000 square feet of conference and meeting space for groups of 15-150
- Twice daily housekeeping, evening turndown service on request
- Personalized concierge services
- Complimentary morning newspaper
- 24-hour safety patrol
- Room Service-7 a.m. to Midnight
- Valet parking
- Year-round Kids’ Klub program for children ages 5-12
- On-premise resort shuttles available property-wide
- Scheduled shuttle service to St. Armands Circle
- Special events catering and wedding planning services
- In-house professional photographer and florist
Longboat Key Club & Resort offers 218 recently renovated condominium suites with dramatic views of the Gulf of Mexico, serene lagoon, or golf course fairways. Trish Wilson, of the internationally acclaimed New York City hospitality design firm Wilson Associates, led the $6.5 million redesign project. The remodeled interiors feature a citrus-colored palate with linen-inspired textures, and custom-made furniture that incorporates dark walnut, crushed bamboo, and woven sea grasses.
- Guest Rooms come complete with one king-size or two double beds, a dressing area, refrigerator with ice maker, microwave, and private balcony. (415 square feet)
- Club Suites have one king-size bed in a spacious living/sleeping area, a queen-size sleeper sofa, plus a kitchenette with washer/dryer, dressing room, and private balcony. (650 square feet)
- One-Bedroom Suites feature a private master bedroom with one king-size bed and dressing area. The suite includes a large living room with queen-size sleeper sofa, complete kitchen, washer/dryer, dining area, and private balcony. (815 square feet)
- Two-Bedroom Suites have a king-size bed in the master bedroom and two double beds in the guest bedroom. The bedrooms include dressing areas and are separated by a large living room, with queen-size sleeper sofa, complete kitchen, washer/dryer, dining area and private balconies. (1,260 square feet)
- Deluxe Two-Bedroom Suites are the most luxurious and expansive of the Resort’s accommodations. They offer an oversized living room with queen-size sleeper sofa, private balconies, and kitchen, plus all the features of the two-bedroom suite. (1,750 square feet)
All rooms and suites feature:
- Sands Pointe Restaurant: Located at the resort center, Sands Pointe blends sophisticated dining with a sweeping view of the Gulf of Mexico. Innovative cuisine features local, organic and regional ingredients with the freshest selection of seafood. Open seven days a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Sands Pointe offers creative cuisine and an extensive imported and domestic wine list from its award-winning wine cellar.
- The Pointe Lounge: Adjacent to Sands Pointe, the Pointe Lounge offers a light-fare menu with house-made desserts in a casual setting. The drink menu features many non-alcoholic libations, an organic cocktail list, a selection of more than 25 premium scotches, and an impressive collection of wines, ports, sherries, eau de vies and high end liquors. The Pointe Lounge is open daily from 2:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (until midnight on Friday and Saturday nights) with live entertainment featured Tuesday through Saturday evenings (Wednesday through Saturday during low season).
- Barefoots Bar & Grille: Beyond the windows of Sands Pointe, Barefoot’s offers casual poolside dining with a menu featuring Florida seafood, sandwich pleasers, fresh salads and tropical cocktails. This is the perfect spot for sun worshippers to dine in relaxed resort-style comfort while enjoying a panoramic view of the Gulf of Mexico—open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with live music on the weekends.
- Spike ‘n Tees: Overlooking the Islandside golf course, Spike ‘n Tees serves breakfast and lunch in a relaxed, casual outdoor setting. Ideal for a quick meal before or after a round of golf, a tennis game, or a fitness workout, Spike ‘n Tees offers seating on its expansive outdoor patio with protection from the sun and wind. Open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.-with window service available until 5 p.m.-the menu features a daily lunch buffet complete with fresh garden ingredients, local seafood, and grilled-to-order items. In addition, the restaurant features a spa menu in connection with the resort’s wellness program. Spike ‘n Tees offers all natural smoothies and freshly extracted juices.
- The Grille at Harbourside: Nestled among majestic oaks overlooking the Harbourside golf course, The Grille offers a tavern atmosphere featuring multiple flat screen TV’s. Open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.-The Grille serves lunch and dinner with seating available indoors and on an expansive outdoor deck. The Grille’s dinner menu features fresh local ingredients, seafood and upscale, innovative pub fare. The bar features classic cocktails and a selection of beers and micro-brews. On Sundays, The Grille offers a Carvery buffet dinner featuring prime rib and on Monday’s, the famous Burger Bonanza.
- Court 21 Café & Lounge: Located at the beautiful state-of-the-art tennis facility at Harbourside, Court 21 offers indoor and outdoor dining overlooking all the action on The Tennis Garden’s stadium court. Serving breakfast and lunch daily, Court 21 features a combination of breakfast fare and traditional snack bar items with a fresh and healthy twist – including natural smoothies with supplemental enhancements, protein drinks, vitamin-filled energy drinks, and freshly extracted juices.
- Portofino: Overlooking Longboat Key Club Moorings, Portofino features classically inspired Northern Italian home cooking in a casual, upbeat, trattoria-style atmosphere. The menu places an emphasis on serving only the freshest seafood, handmade pastas, and wood-fired oven pizzas. Portofino also offers an extensive Italian wine list, alfresco dining. L’Ancora Bar, directly adjacent to the dining room, offers signature cocktails, an extensive wine list, and live music on Friday and Saturday nights.
Island House Spa: Designed by award-winning spa consultant Kim Matheson, the 9,000-square-foot Island House Spa offers an incredible selection of beauty, body, and wellness treatments featuring Naturopathica organic skincare products. Adjacent to the Islandside golf course and Fitness Centre, the Island House Spa features 12 treatment rooms, a relaxation room, steam rooms, manicure/pedicure services, and more than 50 treatment services-including Plant Stem Cell Facials, Global Spa Rituals and even an Espresso Mud Body Treatment scrub. A professional staff of licensed therapists provides a variety of massage techniques, facials, and body treatments. Spa packages are available as well as a couple’s treatment room to share the experience. The Resort Shoppe, a large retail boutique, features signature spa products, resort wear and accessories. The Island House Spa is a private facility enjoyed by Club members and resort guests.
Fitness Centre: Offered on a complimentary basis to resort guests, the 4,000-square-foot Fitness Centre is a well-appointed workout facility comprised of three areas. The first consists of a full cardio room with 5 Precor EFX Elliptical trainers, 9 True Fitness treadmills, 4 Star Trac recumbent bikes, 2 fluid rowers. The second area offers 14 Body Masters single station selectorized machines. The third area is our free weights room with dumbbells, barbells, plates, weight benches, body balls, medicine balls and more. All bikes, treadmills, and elliptical trainers have their own personal TVs and iPod connections.
The second area holds the free weight room that features a Smith machine, leg press machine, benches, and dumbbells. Personal trainers are on staff and can be booked on an hourly basis to motivate and guide guests during their workout.
Mind & Motion Studio: A short walk from the resort center, Mind & Motion Studio offers classes for resort guests over 16 years of age and for all fitness levels. The Studio’s waterfront location and spa-like ambiance makes workouts a pleasurable experience. Classes include: Yoga, Spinning, Step, Body Sculpting, Meditation, Pilates, Tai Chi, BOSU, Aquacise, Beach Boot Camp, and Dance. The state-of-the-art workout facility features a floor-to-ceiling waterfront view; a suspended wood floor that is designed to absorb shock and reduce stress on joints; and the most current fitness equipment and sound system. The experienced fitness staff includes an arena football player who teaches a unique “boot camp” and an Olympic rowing bronze medalist who teaches Tai Chi.
Tennis is offered on a complimentary basis to resort guests. USTPA resident professionals offer private and semi-private lessons, as well as daily stroke clinics.
The Tennis Gardens at Longboat Key Club & Resort, a $4.5 million award winning tennis facility that opened in March 2009, was built in a rich contemporary architectural mode that is in harmony with the regional style known as Sarasota School of Architecture or Sarasota Modern and is located on the Harbourside area of the resort. Featuring 20 Har-Tru clay courts with a state-of-the-art, conservation minded HydroGrid irrigation system-delivering optimal playing conditions all day with minimal downtime between matches,- five lighted courts for night play; a clubhouse; tennis concierge; a pro shop; locker rooms; a meeting room; and a tennis-themed restaurant. The luxuriously landscaped Tennis Gardens also feature a players’ patio and tented stadium court with seating for 500-expandable to 4,000 by installing tented stadium seating on an adjacent court-to host celebrity tennis exhibitions and professional tournaments.
Islandside Tennis located along the aquamarine waters of the resort’s quiet lagoon, offers 4 Har-Tru courts and a practice court. Court 21 Café & Lounge, the Club’s newest private dining amenity is located adjacent to the Tennis Gardens, overlooking all the tennis action. The restaurant offers indoor seating and outdoor seating along a garden terrace. Inside, flat screen televisions broadcast international and national tennis tournaments, Club tournaments, and guests at play-creating a fun and vibrant atmosphere for tennis enthusiasts. The menu offerings are eclectic with a focus on fresh, healthy preparations appropriate for any time of day. Freshly extracted juices and wellness beverages are prepared to order. The facility also offers the ability to film players on the courts for instructional analysis, similar to the Club’s current golf instruction program.
The Tennis Gardens hosts the Sarasota Open, a USTA and ATP professional men’s tennis tournament. 2012 marks the fourth consecutive year for the event. The Tournament continues to garner rave reviews from players and attendees alike and compliments the positioning of Sarasota County as a world class destination for Sports Tourism and professional sporting events. The Tennis Gardens at Longboat Key is the recipient of the 2009 USTA Outstanding Facility Award and in 2011 was named a “Top Ten Gold Medal Tennis Resort Worldwide” by Tennis Resorts Online.
The entrance lobby of The Tennis Gardens serves as a showcase for local artisans and sculptors, in partnership with the Longboat Key Center for the Arts and the Ringling Museum. Local talent that has been featured includes Bill Buchman, sculptor Jorge Blanc, sculptor Bruce White and most recently sculptor Malcolm Robertson.
Both Islandside and Harbourside golf courses are PGA approved and offer driving ranges; clubhouses with indoor/outdoor dining and beverage service; and fully-stocked pro shops with a large selection of golf apparel and equipment. Locker rooms feature lounge areas, showers, televisions and an attendant for towel service and shoe cleanings. Bag and club storage is complimentary for full time members. Callaway golf club rental is available at both courses. Group and individual instruction, custom club fitting, and repair services are also available.
- Islandside Golf Course: Located on the south end of Longboat Key and a short walk from the resort center, Islandside offers 18 holes of championship golf in a lush tropical setting. Designed by Bill Mitchell and opened for play in 1960, this 6,792 yard, par 72 “watery challenge” borders the Gulf of Mexico. During the construction of this barrier island golf course, canals were dredged to bring water hazards into play on all 18 holes. All of the greens, sand traps, and cart paths were renovated in 1994. More than 5,000 palm trees, along with pink and white Oleanders, line the fairways and canals making it one of Florida’s most beautiful and challenging golf courses.
- Harbourside Golf Course: Located approximately three miles from the resort center, Harbourside consists of three elegantly appointed nine-hole golf courses originally designed by Willard Byrd of Atlanta and opened for play in 1982. With an abundance of holes situated along scenic Sarasota Bay and Longboat Key Club Moorings, Harbourside provides another exciting challenge for seasoned golfers. The newly redesigned Red Hawk course measures 3,323 yards in length; the White course boasts 3,426 yards, and the Blue Heron course redesigned in 2005 offers 3,386 yards. The championship layout provides a completely different golf experience from the Islandside golf course. Harbourside plays through virgin stands of live oak, Sabal palm, strangler fig, palmetto, Fiddleleaf palm, Washingtonian palm, and southern pine trees. In 2005 and 2006, the Blue and Red nines were redesigned by renowned Florida golf course architect, Ron Garl. Longboat Key Club and Resort’s location in a bird sanctuary also brings an abundance of waterfowl to these courses.
With 37 acres and 291 slips, Longboat Key Club Moorings is the largest deep-water resort marina on Florida’s West Coast. With direct access to Sarasota Bay and the Intracoastal Waterway, Longboat Key Club Moorings offers yacht owners dockage at a full service, state-of-the-art marina complete with first-class amenities and personalized service.
Located at ICW Marker 15 MM 79.5 by sea, or 2630 Harbourside Drive by land, Longboat Key Club Moorings sits conveniently adjacent to the property’s Harbourside golf course. This storm protected deep-water marina leases slips on an annual, seasonal, monthly, or nightly basis for yachts ranging in size from 35-157 feet. Longboat Key Club Moorings is a Certified Florida Clean Marina-representing one of the first marinas to receive this important designation. The marina has received this green accolade since 2002.
On-site amenities include: a complete fuel dock, pump-out station, and full vessel maintenance program; Portofino, an Italian trattoria-style restaurant; heated pool, spa, showers, saunas and laundry facilities; a tennis court and ship’s store; and access to all Longboat Key Club’s amenities. Services include: a marina concierge, brokerage services, harbormaster, and attentive dock staff; and 24-hour security with guarded access and free shuttle service to the Resort Center, St. Armand’s Circle, and downtown Sarasota.
Longboat Key is approximately 8 miles from the Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport and 60 miles from the Tampa Airport, which are both served by most major airlines and private jets. Air charter service is available, as well as limousine service to and from the airport.
By car, from the north, Interstate 75 South leads directly to Sarasota. From Miami and other points south, Alligator Alley (SR 84) crosses the Everglades west, and then intersects with Interstate 75 North to Sarasota. Exit 210, Fruitville Road leads to U.S. Highway 41 and downtown Sarasota. From here, the John Ringling Causeway (SR 789) crosses Sarasota Bay to St. Armands Key, and connects with Gulf of Mexico Drive that leads directly to Longboat Key Club and Resort. The Intracoastal Waterway to Sarasota Bay provides access by boat, with dockage available at Longboat Key Club Moorings Marina.
From the Sarasota Airport
- Exit the Airport and go west on University Parkway to US 41 (Tamiami Trail).
- Left on US 41 approximately 6 miles to Gulf Stream Avenue
- Right on Gulf Stream Avenue across bridge and causeway to St. Armands Circle.
- Turn right and proceed 1/4 of the way around the Circle to North Boulevard of Presidents, SR 789 (follow sign to Longboat Key).
- Turn right (north) 1-1/2 miles over the drawbridge to Longboat Key.
- Take the first left after the bridge into Longboat Key Club.
- Drive to guard gate for directions to Resort Center and Guest Registration.
- Driving Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- Taxi Fare: $15 – $20 each way.